New Delhi: Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday said the Narendra Modi government had failed to protect the rights of tribals and urged it to act swiftly to defend the Forest Rights Act in the Supreme Court.
Lakhs of Adivasi families face eviction from their traditional lands as the Modi government disregards the Forest Rights Act (FRA), the leader of opposition in the Lok Sabha said in a post on X.
He claimed that the Congress-led government introduced the law in 2006 to correct a historic injustice and ensure that Adivasis had rights over their “jal, jangal and zameen”.
Also Read
“However, due to the inaction of the central government, countless genuine claims under the FRA have been arbitrarily rejected without any review,” the former Congress chief said.
“In 2019, the Supreme Court ordered the eviction of all those whose claims had been rejected, a move that triggered widespread protests across the country. In response, the court paused evictions and called for a thorough review of the rejected claims,” he added.
The case is back before the Supreme Court on April 2 and, once again, the Modi government is “missing in action”, Gandhi alleged.
“It failed to defend the law in 2019 and continues to show no intention of standing up for Adivasi rights today. Worse still, there has been no serious attempt to review or reconsider the lakhs of pending and rejected claims,” the leader of opposition in the Lok Sabha said.
“If the Modi government truly wants to protect Adivasis rights and protect lakhs of families from eviction, it must act swiftly and defend the Forest Rights Act in court,” he added.
Get the latest updates in , , , , and on & by subscribing to our channels. You can also download our app for and .
You may also like
Seven killed after dozens of tornadoes hit US Midwest, South
8 die after inhaling toxic fumes while cleaning 150-year-old well in Madhya Pradesh
Work-Life Balance: No Holidays, Long Working Hours; Woman Says Goodbye To Hubby In Bhopal
Ujjain Simhastha 2028: PMO Steps In To Ensure No Kumbh-Like Stampede
No power to do any of this: 19 states in US sue Trump's election order