Next Story
Newszop

Today's F1 news as Lewis Hamilton 'annoyed' and driver replaced at Japanese GP

Send Push
image

Here are your Formula One headlines for Wednesday, April 2.

Lewis Hamilton 'annoyed'

Ralf Schumacher believes Lewis Hamilton was 'annoyed' at the Chinese Grand Prix.

The British star won the sprint race but was disqualified from the Grand Prix alongside his team-mate Charles Leclerc. Schumacher believes there was some 'tension' between the Ferrari drivers and suggested that Hamilton was 'annoyed' with his team's strategy.

"Of course, it wasn't in free air, which makes a big difference in China, and his team-mate passed him with the broken wing because I have to say for the aerodynamicists, put six broken front wings in, they will work just as well or better than a whole one," Schumacher told .

"It's a bit of a hard one to understand, but I think he did a good, solid job, and I think Charles Leclerc also woke up. I think that annoyed him, and there was some tension. Hamilton wasn't used to being told to drive fast on the team-mate's side."

Driver replaced at Japanese Grand Prix

Jack Doohan has been replaced for the first practice session of the Japanese Grand Prix.

F1 teams must allow a rookie driver to sit in their car for at least two sessions during a season. Alpine have gone early with their first change, replacing Doohan with the 31-year-old Japanese driver Ryo Hirakawa.

Hirakawa said: "I'm very excited, I can't wait to drive the A525 in Free Practice this weekend. I'm looking back to 18 years ago to 2007, the first time I went to watch the Japanese Grand Prix, it was a different track, Fuji, but it was Formula One in Japan.

"Since then, I started my racing career and now to drive during the weekend is going to be a dream come true, I just can't wait. I have got everything prepared, we did simulator work in Enstone a few days ago and I'm going to enjoy the moment."

image

Max Verstappen backed to leave Red Bull

Juan Pablo Montoya believes Max Verstappen will receive an 'offer he can't refuse' from Aston Martin. The former driver predicts Verstappen will make a decision over his future by the third race of 2026, when regulation changes are introduced.

Montoya says the Dutchman could reunite with Adrian Newey, telling Vision4Sport: "I think Max will get an offer he can't refuse from Aston Martin.

"He might give Red Bull a chance for a year and a chance for Adrian to start figuring it out. Adrian can't do that immediately. It's a new whole group and everyone needs to start working together. Are they going to be better than where they are next year? For sure. But I don't think they're going to start winning a string of races.

"But if Red Bull struggles in year one [of the new regulations], then it wouldn't surprise me if by race three Max has already signed with somebody else."

Loving Newspoint? Download the app now